Nurses play a key role in providing vital health services to Australians every day. Making sure nursing staff can quickly gain an understanding of a patient’s health history can assist in the treatment of chronic and complex medical conditions.
Access to the My Health Record system means a patient’s key health information is together in one place; reducing time spent looking for and sharing information between treating healthcare providers.
Video: Rachel Roy, registered nurse, discusses the benefits and uses of My Health Record.
The Workforce and Education Roadmap Summit
During the latter part of 2019, health care professionals met to create a roadmap that will help the workforce confidently use digital technologies to deliver better health and care.
More information - media releases:
- Critical Roadmap to equip Australian health workers for global digital transformation
- New program to ensure nurses and midwives are at the forefront of digital health
What’s on this page
This self-paced course has been developed in collaboration with the Australian College of Nursing (ACN) and is eligible for CPD points.
The course supports nurses working in any healthcare setting to become familiar with and confident in using the My Health Record system.
See the fact sheets and guides page for guidance on how healthcare providers can use the My Health Record system.
Nurses can use the My Health Record system in a variety of ways. Learn how to:
- View your patient’s My Health Record, including their:
- Improve data quality and safety
- Upload clinical information such as:
- Access training simulators and learning resources.
You can find a range of resources including brochures and step-by-step guides to support patients in interacting with their My Health Record.
Resources include how to upload a personal health summary, set privacy controls and many other functions.
If your patients have questions about My Health Record, you can refer them to information in the For you & your family section of this website.
Healthcare organisations using the My Health Record system need to understand their obligations. Learn about/how to:
- My Health Record participation obligations
- Security practices and policies checklist
- Report a clinical incident
- Manage a data breach
- My Health Record system security
- Understand when you can view and upload information
- Recognise your privacy and security obligations
There are two ways in which authorised healthcare providers can access an individual’s record in the My Health Record system:
- Conformant software enables healthcare providers to upload, view and download information from an individual's My Health Record.
- National Provider Portal enables healthcare providers to view and download information from the individual’s My Health Record, but will not be able to upload any clinical information.
If a healthcare provider does not have access to conformant software, they can view an individual’s My Health Record through the National Provider Portal.
Education and training request form
The Agency can help with organising face-to-face education and training.
See the Contact us page for guidance on who to call for help and support.