The National Provider Portal (NPP) is a web based interface through which healthcare providers can access the My Health Record system.
It is a read-only service that is accessible without conformant clinical software.
How to access the National Provider Portal
You can now access the NPP via the Department of Human Services’ Provider Digital Access (PRODA) portal, removing the reliance on the National Authentication Service for Health (NASH) public key infrastructure (PKI) certificates. If you have a NASH PKI certificate for individuals, you can still continue to use this to access the NPP until it expires.
You can create a PRODA account to access the NPP before your NASH PKI certificate expires. You will still need a Healthcare Provider Identifier for Individuals (HPI-I), that is linked to a Healthcare Provider Identifier for Organisations (HPI-O), before registering for PRODA.
Step 1. Get a Healthcare Provider Identifier – Individual (HPI-I) for yourself
If you are registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), you will already have a HPI-I. To find it:
- log onto www.ahpra.gov.au using your AHPRA User ID
- call the HI Service on 1300 419 495, or
- add 800361 to the front of your AHPRA User ID (note: this is not your professional registration number).
- If you aren’t registered in AHPRA, complete the Application to register a Healthcare Provider (HW033). You will need to provide evidence of your identity and documents supporting your registration in a professional association related to the healthcare you provide (see Appendix 1).
Step 2: Register your Organisation to the HI Service
If an organisation does not already have a Healthcare Provider Identifier – Organisation (HPI-O), they will need to register their organisation with the HI Service and the My Health Record.
Organisations can register their organisation with the HI Service and the My Health Record via Health Professional Online Services (HPOS):
- log into HPOS via PRODA and click on the ‘My programs’ tile
- select the ‘My Health Record system – Organisation Registration’ tile, and complete the online form to register your Seed Organisation
- if the organisation is not known to the HI Service, the applicant will need to provide evidence that they have the authority to make decisions on behalf of your organisation (see Appendix 1) via document upload in the Seed Organisation registration application.
Once the registration is complete, the applicant will receive an email in HPOS mail, this will include:
- confirmation of successful registration with the My Health Record
- Healthcare Provider Organisation Identifier (HPI-O)
- Responsible Officer (RO) and Organisation Maintenance Officer (OMO) numbers
- instructions on how to apply for a NASH PKI Organisation Certificate via HPOS. A NASH PKI Organisation Certificate is required if the organisation is going to use conformant software to access the My Health Record.
Step 3: Link your HPI-I to your HPI-O
In order for a Healthcare Provider Individual (HPI-I) to access the NPP on behalf of a Healthcare Provider Organisation (HPI-O) they need to be linked to the organisation through any of the following options:
- call the My Health Record Help line (option 2) on 1800 723 471.
- if you have a Provider Digital Access (PRODA) account, link through Health Professional Online Services (HPOS) (see steps on the Human Services website).
Step 4. Register with PRODA
How to use the Provider Portal
Step 1: Log on using either PRODA or your NASH certificate.
You can access the Provider Portal using latest versions of Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Android.
Go to portal.ehealth.gov.au to access the portal. Select the ‘Log in with PRODA’, or ‘Log in with NASH’ option. Log in and verify your identity using your Individual NASH PKI Certificate (for example, a USB token).
If you are using a NASH PKI certificate:
- Insert your token into the USB port or smart card reader.
- Choose the credential you wish to use (if necessary).
- Enter your password (set up as part of the installation process).
- Click on the ‘Log in with NASH’ button
Provider Portal Login Screen
If you are using PRODA:
- Click on the ‘Log in with PRODA’ button (see login screen above)
- You will be redirected to the PRODA login page
- Enter your credentials and click on the My Health Record tile from your ‘Available services’.
4. Link your PRODA ID to the My Health Record system. You will only need to complete the linking once.
Step 2. Select the organisation you are representing
Step 3. Search for the individual’s My Health Record
Once you log in, a search screen will appear.
Add their information to the search screen to find their My Health Record. To find the individual’s record, the information you enter must match their details as recorded with Medicare.
The individual may have set up access restrictions for their record. If they have, you will need to get the access code from the individual and enter it into the screen.
Step 4. Navigating My Health Record
The record opens on the individual’s Health Record Overview (HRO). The HRO provides a single access point to relevant areas of a My Health Record to allow for easy navigation.
Note: You will need to log out and in again if treating individuals on behalf of other organisations.
Evidence of identify documents
Acceptable documentary evidence of the existence of the organisation as a legal business entity and your authority to commit the requires the following:
You must provide a minimum of one document from the Primary group and one document from the Secondary group. You must include a Deed Poll or marriage certificate if there is a difference in name in these documents.
* Additional options are listed in the forms themselves.
You must provide a certified copy of any one of the following documents: