This section contains information for pharmacists looking to register for My Health Record and learn more about the system.
On this page
These fact sheets introduce My Health Record, and outline its benefits and the registration process.
Community pharmacy FAQs
There are two ways through which authorised healthcare providers can access an individual’s record in the My Health Record system.
1. Conformant software
Accessing the My Health Record system through conformant dispensing software enables healthcare providers to view and download information from an individual's My Health Record.
2. National Provider Portal
If a healthcare provider does not have access to conformant software, they can view an individual’s My Health Record through the National Provider Portal at: https://portal.ehealth.gov.au. The healthcare provider will be able to view and download information from the individual’s My Health Record, but will not be able to upload any clinical information.
Establish roles, responsibilities and policies
Prior to registering your organisation you will first need to establish your team members’ roles and responsibilities as they relate to interacting with the Healthcare Identifiers Service and the My Health Record system.
While your registration is being processed, this is an opportune time to:
- establish policies and procedures to underpin your team’s use of My Health Record, and
- train yourself and/or your team in how to use My Health Record
Contact your local PHN for assistance with the above if required.
Learn how to:
- View a My Health Record, including:
- Improve data quality and safety
- Upload clinical information
- Access training and resources
Learn more about/how to:
- Report a clinical incident
- Manage a data breach
- Data breach notification - steps to follow
- Security practices and policies checklist
- Recognise your privacy and security obligations
- Understand when you can view and upload information
- My Health Record participation obligations
- My Health Record system security
My Health Record online training
This online training introduces My Health Record and outlines its benefits, features and functionalities. It covers topics such as:
- the benefits of My Health Record for pharmacists and patients,
- the types of information that may be found in My Health Record,
- the uses of My Health Record in pharmacy, and
- the privacy and security mechanisms which underpin My Health Record.
Each module has been accredited for 0.5 hour of Group 1 CPD (or 0.5 CPD credit) suitable for inclusion in an individual pharmacist’s CPD plan which can be converted to 0.5 hour of Group 2 CPD (or 1 CPD credit) upon successful completion of relevant assessment activities.
The Agency has hosted a number of webinars to help build knowledge of My Health Record and its features and functionalities.
An interview with Shane Jackson
In this interview, pharmacist Shane Jackson explains how My Health Record supports the provision of pharmacy health services, what kinds of scenarios My Health Record is most beneficial for, and why it is important that dispensing information held by pharmacists be shared with other healthcare providers.
Education and training request form
The Agency can help with organising face-to-face education and training for your pharmacy.
Pharmaceutical Society of Australia’s Digital Health Resource Hub
The Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, in partnership with the Agency, has prepared a range of guidelines, practice support materials and education.
A range of brochures are available to support you in introducing My Health Record to your patients.
Consumer Portal guides
A range of step-by-step guides are available to support patients in interacting with their My Health Record, including uploading a personal health summary, setting privacy controls and a range of other functions.
See the Contact us page for guidance on who to call for help and support.