Start of content
A My Health Record will be created for every Australian who wants one after 31 January 2019. After then, you can permanently delete your record at any time. It’s your choice.

How to opt out of getting a My Health Record

If you don't have a My Health Record and don't want one created for you, you will need to opt out.

Click the ‘opt out now’ button on this page to get started. You will need to verify your identity, and provide personal details such as your name and date of birth.

You don't need a myGov account to complete the opt-out process. 

Video: Step-by-step guide to opt out of having a My Health Record


Information you will need to opt out 

To opt out of My Health Record, you need to verify your identity.

You will need:

  • your Medicare Card, or Department of Veteran’s Affairs (DVA) card, and
  • one of the following forms of Australian identification:
    • your driver licence; or
    • your passport; or
    • your ImmiCard

If you need assistance, you can contact the Help line on 1800 723 471. Check current call wait times.

If you have lost your Medicare card, or don't know your Medicare number, contact Medicare to find out your details. Note that you may experience wait times when contacting the Department of Human Services call centre. 

If you complete the opt-out process online, you have the option to receive an email confirmation. Remember to check your SPAM or junk folder if you do not see the message in your inbox. 

Opt out on behalf of children 

If you have parental responsibility for children under the age of 18, and they are listed on your Medicare card, you can opt out of My Health Record on their behalf. Follow the steps in the online process.  

Children aged 14 and over may also choose to opt out individually online. They will need their Medicare number to do so.

To opt out dependants under 18 and on a different Medicare card, please contact us for assistance.

Opt out dependants over the age of 18 

To opt out dependants over the age of 18, you will need to contact us and provide evidence of your authority to act on their behalf. 

This evidence must prove that your dependant is not capable of making decisions for themselves.

The evidence required is:

  1. A letter from a medical practitioner, psychologist or a court or tribunal decision in relation to your dependant’s mental capacity, and
  2. Evidence of your legal authority to act on behalf of your dependant in relation to health/medical decisions, for example enduring power of attorney (medical/health) or guardianship orders.
    • Or, if there is no one with legal authority, a statutory declaration specifying the following:
      • an explanation of why you are an appropriate person to be your dependant’s authorised representative
      • that to the best of your knowledge, there is nobody who is authorised by law to act on behalf of your dependant, and
      • your relationship with your dependant (for example son, daughter or full-time carer)

Already have a My Health Record? 

More than 6 million Australians currently have a My Health Record. Most people have registered themselves or their children for a My Health Record in one of the following ways:

  • via a myGov account
  • Medicare enrolment form (for a newborn)
  • at a Medicare Service Centre
  • by calling the Help line

Read more about why you might already have a My Health Record.

If you already have a My Health Record, and decide you don’t want one anymore, you can cancel it. Follow the instructions here to cancel your record

If you miss the deadline of 31 January 2019 and a record is created, you can permanently delete your record at any time.  

If you opt out, you can get a My Health Record in the future 

Once you have completed the opt-out process, you cannot cancel your request.

However, if you decide later that you would like a My Health Record, you can re-register for one at any time by following the steps to register

Need help?

Please contact us if you

  • want to opt out but don't have the identification you need 
  • don't have a Medicare or DVA card, and want to make sure that you don't get a My Health Record 
  • wish to opt out someone you have legal responsibility for 
  • need assistance to complete the online process. 

If you need to contact the Help line for assistance you can check the current call wait times.

Need help?

Contact our Help line 24/7

1800 723 471