Talk to your doctor about My Health Record to make sure your relevant health information is available and up to date.
Uploading information to your My Health Record is not automatic. It is up to your healthcare provider, such as your GP, to upload health information to your record.
Find out if your doctor is using My Health Record
Next time you visit your GP, ask whether they use the My Health Record system.
If they use My Health Record, you can:
- Discuss whether you want them to automatically upload your future health information to keep your My Health Record updated.
- Make decisions about what types of information you want on your record, now and into the future.
- Discuss whether to add a summary of your medical history to your record.
Discuss what should go on your record
Your past medical information will not be automatically added to your My Health Record.
This is a good opportunity to talk to your GP about adding a summary of your current medical history and medicines information you would like included.
You may want your doctor to add information in your shared health summary such as:
- A summary of your current medical information
- Medical conditions (past and present)
- Current medicines
- Allergies and adverse reactions.
If your healthcare provider doesn’t use My Health Record
If your doctor isn’t using My Health Record yet, and you would like your information to be available for other health care providers to see, ask if they plan to start using it in the future.
If you don’t want information uploaded to your record
It’s your choice what information your healthcare providers upload to your My Health Record. Talk to your GP or other healthcare providers about your decision.
Information from a doctor’s visit
You can let your doctor know during your visit if you don’t want them to include certain information to your record. They must comply with your request.
While your health information may be held in the healthcare organisation’s local medical records system, such as on computers or paper files, it should not be added to your My Health Record if you request that your records not be uploaded.
Pathology and diagnostic imaging reports
Once you have a My Health Record, pathology and diagnostic imaging reports may be uploaded to that record by default.
You can ask that a report not be uploaded to your My Health Record at any time before the report is uploaded. Your healthcare providers must comply with your request.
If you don’t want a pathology or diagnostic imaging report uploaded to your record, you can do any of the following:
- Tell your doctor or pathology or diagnostic imaging service directly
- Check the Do not send reports to My Health Record box on the pathology and/or diagnostic imaging request form
- Write Do not send reports to My Health Record on the pathology and/or diagnostic imaging request form.
You can also request specific tests within a pathology or diagnostic request form be excluded from your My Health Record.
If the information has already been uploaded to your record, you can choose to: