You can decide which of your healthcare providers can view or update your My Health Record by setting a Record Access Code.
Sharing your record access code (RAC) with healthcare providers will allow them to see your record.
Healthcare providers can still access your record, including any restricted documents, during an emergency.
Video: Privacy and access settings in My Health Record.
Setting a record access code
Setting up a record access code will allow you to choose which healthcare provider organisation you want to access your record.
To set a record access code
- Log in to your My Health Record through myGov.
- Select the record you want to control access to.
- Select 'Privacy & Access' from the navigation menu.
- Scroll to the ‘Access by Healthcare Providers’ section.
- Select ‘Manage Access’ to expand the section. You will see a list of healthcare provider organisations who have access to your record.
- Scroll to ‘All Other Healthcare Providers’.
- In ‘All Healthcare Providers in your care can access this record.’ Select ‘Manage Access’.
- On the ‘Limit access to your My Health Record’ page, set your code. The code needs to be 4 to 8 characters long.
You can also call our Help line to set a code for you: 1800 723 471.
If a healthcare provider organisation has previously accessed your record, they will not need the access code. You can remove access for a healthcare provider organisation at any time by following the steps in the next section.
To remove a healthcare organisation from your healthcare provider access list
- Log in to My Health Record through myGov.
- Select the record that you would like to edit.
- Select ‘Privacy & Access’ in the navigation menu.
- Scroll down to the ‘Access by Healthcare Providers’ section and select the ‘Manage Access’ button, this will expand the section.
- You will be able to view a list of all healthcare provider organisations with access to your record.
- Select the ‘Manage Access’ button next to the provider organisation that you wish to update.
- You can now view the level of view access (Read Access) and the level of uploading access (Write Access) the provider organisation currently has.
- To change these levels, select another option and select ‘Save’.
- You will then need to confirm the change on the next page by clicking ‘OK’.
Control access to documents
You can further manage access to information in your My Health Record by controlling access to specific health documents. This includes the ability to restrict documents and to remove them from your My Health Record.