There are a number of ways you can prevent healthcare providers from seeing information in your My Health Record.
Video: Document privacy access and control
Document access settings
There are four document settings you can apply to your documents:
- General Access: Allows healthcare providers and your representatives to view a document.
- Restricted: Only your healthcare providers and your representatives with ‘restricted access’ can view the document.
- Hidden: You, your healthcare providers and your representatives cannot view this document in your My Health Record. To view this document, you or your representatives need to reinstate the document.
- Removed: You, your healthcare providers and your representatives cannot view this document in your My Health Record including in a medical emergency.
Some types of documents cannot have ‘restricted access’. These include:
- Shared Health Summaries
- Personal Health Summaries
- Advanced Care Plan
Remove, restrict or hide information within ‘Documents’
You can change a document’s access settings in your My Health Record within the Documents section.
To change access settings:
- Log in to your My Health Record through myGov and
- Select the record you want to access.
- Select the ‘Documents’ menu in the top navigation menu, then select
- 'Clinical Records'.
- Select the document type (e.g. Pathology Report).
- From the list of existing documents, choose the document and select 'Manage Access'. Select one of the following:
- ‘General Access’
- 'Restricted Access’
- ‘Hide Document’
- ‘Remove Document’
- Before saving the changes, scroll down to the page to see the document selected is correct.
- Check if correct document and Select ‘Save’.
- Once you select 'Save' you will be prompted with a confirmation. Select ‘Yes’ to confirm your changes.
Restore a document
Documents can be restored only if you have hidden the document from view.
To restore clinical documents:
- Select ‘Privacy & Access’ from the top navigation menu.
- Select ‘Restricted, Hidden & Removed Documents’.
- Search for the document you would like to reinstate.
- Select the ‘Reinstate’ link next to your document to reinstate it.
If information is incorrect or out of date
It’s important that you check that all your health information is up to date and correct.
If you find incorrect information in your record, please contact us as soon as possible on 1800 723 471.
An example of incorrect information could be a medicine that appears in your My Health Record that you have never taken.