If you don’t already have a My Health Record, you can register for one at any time.
This includes if you have previously opted out or cancelled your record.
You need to have a myGov account to register for a My Health Record online.
Register for My Health Record online
1. Create a myGov account or sign in to your existing myGov account:
- Go to the myGov sign in page.
- If you don’t have a myGov account, click ‘Create an account’ and follow the steps to register. If you already have a myGov account, use your existing username and password to sign in.
- Once you have signed in to myGov, click ‘Services’, then click the ‘Link’ button for My Health Record.
2. Prove your identity
To link your My Health Record to your myGov account, you will need to prove your identity as a security check.
You may need:
- Your Medicare card
- The BSB and bank account number for where your Medicare benefits are paid (if you've arranged this with Medicare)
- Your address as recorded by Medicare
- Information about your last doctor's visit.
You need to answer the questions correctly to pass the identity check. If you can’t remember, or don’t know the answer to a question, you can skip that question and try the next one.
If you are having trouble proving your identity online, contact the Help Line on 1800 723 471.
You will be given a code, known as an identity verification code (IVC), after proving your identity. You will need this code to link your myGov account to your My Health Record online.
Re-register after cancelling a My Health Record
If you have previously cancelled a My Health Record, you can re-register at any time. Your new My Health Record will not contain any information from your previous record.
If you can’t register online
If you’re unable to register for a My Health Record online, there are other ways for you to register.
You will need to complete the forms relevant to you:
Through your healthcare provider
Your GP or healthcare provider may be able to help you register for a My Health Record. You will still be required to verify your identity.
Via the Help line
Contact the Help Line on 1800 723 471