Pathology and diagnostic imaging reports can be added to your My Health Record.
Pathology and diagnostic imaging services are now able to add their reports to your My Health Record. This means that you and your healthcare providers can access the results in your My Health Record wherever and whenever they are needed.
Benefits of adding pathology and diagnostic imaging reports to My Health Record
Adding these reports to your My Health Record has many benefits such as:
- Keeping track of the tests you have had and when you had them
- Allowing you to monitor your results over time
- Improving access to your health information
- Reducing unnecessary tests and scans
- Helping your healthcare team to save time and focus on what is important – you.
How it works
Pathology reports (such as blood test results) and diagnostic imaging reports (from X-rays, CT or other scans) will still be sent directly to your GP or healthcare provider in the same way they currently are.
If you have a My Health Record:
- Pathology and diagnostic imaging services may add the report to your My Health Record.
- The report will be immediately available to your doctor and any other healthcare professionals who have access to your My Health Record.
- The report will be listed in your My Health Record and you will be able to read the report after one week. This gives your doctor time to check the report first and contact you about the results, if needed.
A pathology or diagnostic imaging service will not share a report if you have asked for it not to be uploaded, or if State or Territory legislation prohibits sharing sensitive information, such as with HIV or AIDS, without express consent. See Guides to HIV and the law for more information.
If you have any concerns about your test results, you should make an appointment with your doctor to discuss them.
When is this happening?
Some pathology and diagnostic imaging services can add results to your My Health Record now. Others will be connecting to the My Health Record over the next year or so. Once they are connected, they can add reports to your My Health Record.
If you can’t find your pathology or diagnostic imaging reports in your My Health Record, it may be because the pathology or diagnostic imaging service is not yet connected to the My Health Record system. You can check the list of pathology and diagnostic imaging services that are connected to and uploading information to the My Health Record system on the My Health Record website.
Consent to upload reports
Once you have a My Health Record, pathology and diagnostic imaging reports may be uploaded to that record. You do not need to give consent every time.
If you do not want a report added to your My Health Record:
- Tell your doctor or the pathology or diagnostic imaging service, or
- Check the Do not send reports to My Health Record box on the request form, or
- Write Do not send reports to My Health Record on the request form.
You may withdraw consent or ask that a report not be uploaded any time before the report is uploaded to your My Health Record.
If you change your mind after the report has been uploaded you may remove the report from view at any time. You can also set document access controls.
Managing your My Health Record
For information about managing your My Health Record and setting document access controls, follow the 'How to' links below.