Start of content

If you are affected by family and domestic violence, you can take steps to control the information in your My Health Record.

Call us if you think your family's safety is at risk 
If you are concerned about an individual finding you or your child through information in your child’s My Health Record, there are a number of protections we can promptly put in place to protect your family’s safety.  

Call the My Health Record Help line on 1800 723 471 so we can talk to you about the protections available to you. 
Call 000 if you are in immediate danger.

To access 24/7 counselling and support call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732.

Family and domestic violence isn’t always physical. It can happen to anyone, at any time, no matter their age, gender or sexual orientation. It can happen anywhere, including at home or at work.

It can cause you to live in fear for yourself and your family. This can happen even when you have left a violent relationship.

You can find more help and information on the Department of Human Services website

Controlling information in your My Health Record  

Below are the ways you can control and protect your information, and your children's information, in your My Health Record. 

Set privacy and security controls

To help protect your privacy and that of your children, you can set an access code (a PIN, which is called a record access code) to control which information your healthcare provider organisations can see. Only those who you give the code to will be able to access your record. You can also remove clinical and Medicare documents from your record at any time. 

See who has viewed your record

Within your My Health Record, you can see who has accessed your record and set up notifications to see when it is accessed. You can monitor access to your record by logging into your record and viewing the access history log. You can also choose to receive notifications by email or SMS when someone accesses your record for the first time. 

Choose what information is in your record  

You control who sees your My Health Record and what’s in it. You can choose to share your information with the healthcare providers involved in your care. By allowing them to upload, view and share documents in your My Health Record, they will have a more detailed picture with which to make decisions, diagnose and provide treatment. You can also remove clinical and Medicare documents from your record at any time, or ask your healthcare provider not to upload information to your record or your child's record. 

Some clinical documents uploaded to your record may contain your address information. If you think this could put you or your children at risk, call our Help line.

You can register for My Health Record under a pseudonym

For privacy reasons, you might use a different name for you or your children when you get healthcare.

To do this, you need to apply for a pseudonym Individual Healthcare Identifier (IHI) through the Department of Human Services (DHS). You can then use this name to register for a My Health Record.

Your pseudonym IHI isn’t linked to your Medicare information, so this information will not be available in your record.

You will not be identifiable or traceable through your pseudonym.

You can choose to have a My Health Record using your real name as well as your pseudonym, and you have the option to merge these two records at any time.

To apply for a pseudonym IHI, you can call DHS on 1300 361 457.

Access by authorised representatives

An authorised representative is a person who is authorised to act on behalf of another individual, for example someone with parental responsibility or legal authority. There can be more than one authorised representative with access to a My Health Record.

If you believe an authorised representative, such as another parent, should not have access to a My Health Record, contact the Help line on 1800 723 471. 

Downloadable resources