Start of content

An authorised representative is responsible for managing the
My Health Record of someone who is not able to make decisions for themselves. This could be for their child under 14 years or someone 14 years and over. 

In some cases, there may be more than one authorised representative who can manage a child’s My Health Record provided they are eligible on the same basis. For example, both parents of a child can apply to be an authorised representative. An authorised representative must act according to the will and preferences of the person they represent.

What authorised representatives can do

The authorised representative has complete access and control over the record, as if it was their own.

They can:

  • View, remove and add information 
  • Choose whether Medicare information is uploaded to the record
  • Choose which healthcare provider organisations can access the record
  • Add or remove nominated representatives 
  • View other authorised representatives 
  • Cancel the record to permanently delete it

Find out more about how to manage a record as an authorised representative.

Types of authorised representatives

An authorised representative may be a parent, carer, family member, legal guardian, or someone with enduring power of attorney.

Parents and guardians 

Until the age of 14, a child's authorised representative, usually a parent, carer or legal guardian, manages their My Health Record on their behalf.

When a child turns 14, all authorised representatives and nominated representatives will be removed. If they choose to, a child can give their parent or legal guardian access as a nominated representative. 

Find out how to manage a child's record on their behalf.

Act on behalf of someone who lacks capacity 

If an individual 14 years or over is not able to make decisions for themselves, and you have authority to act on their behalf, you can apply to be their authorised representative.

Find out how to become an authorised representative

Remove an authorised representative

Depending on your individual circumstances, if your My Health Record is currently being managed by an authorised representative, you can remove them and manage your own record. 

Find out how to remove an authorised representative

Report an issue with an authorised representative

If you need to report an issue related to an authorised representative, or their management of your My Health Record, please call the Help line on 1800 723 471 so we can investigate.