Start of content

You can allow someone else, such as a family member or carer to access and view your My Health Record.

On this page you’ll find general information on the types of access for a nominated representative. You can also find further information about nominated representatives on the following pages:

For children, or others who cannot manage their My Health Record, an authorised representative such as a parental or legal authority will manage their My Health Record. For more information about authorised representatives see:

Types of access for a nominated representative

You can provide your nominated representative with one of the following types of access:

  • General Access – view all documents, except those you have marked as restricted.
  • Restricted Access – view all documents, including those you have marked as restricted.
  • Full Access – view all documents and make additions to your My Health Record.

Learn how to give someone access to your My Health Record as a nominated representative.

Understand what a nominated representative can do with full access

A nominated representative who has full access to your My Health Record can view all documents, as well as add information such as any new allergies or your emergency contacts. 

A nominated representative with full access cannot register another person for your My Health Record, cancel your My Health Record, make changes to other nominated representatives or update your Medicare document consent details.

Authorised representatives for children with your My Health Record

A child 0-14 years of age will have their authorised representative, usually a parent or legal guardian, control their My Health Record. The authorised representative will make decisions about which healthcare providers can access the child’s record, and they can limit access to specific documents within the child’s record. Authorised representatives will be able to view the child’s Medicare Benefits Scheme (MBS), Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) and Immunisation Register until the child turns 14. 

Find out more about how to become an authorised representative.

When a child turns 14, they will be able to choose whether to manage their own My Health Record, or allow their authorised representative to continue to manage their record. They can make this choice by logging into their My Health Record (via their myGov account). When they login, they will be prompted to choose whether they want to take control of their record. A child may choose not to take control of their record until they turn 18 years of age. 

On a person’s 18th birthday, their authorised representative(s) will automatically lose access to that My Health Record. If a person hasn’t already taken control of their record, a letter is sent when the person is 17 years and 9 months old, to notify them of this change. 

Once a child takes control of their My Health Record, or turns 18 (whichever occurs first), their authorised representative will no longer have access to their record. If an individual still wants someone such as a parent or guardian to manage their record, they will need to take steps to give this person access as a nominated representative.