Once you have set up your My Health Record, you can access it at any time using any device that connects to the internet.
Video: How to access your My Health Record online
How to access your My Health Record online
Create a myGov account
If you have arrived at this page from your myGov account, then you have already completed the first step to set up online access to your My Health Record.
Select the “continue” button or stay on this page to learn more about your My Health Record.
Step 1: Sign in to myGov
To register or get access to a My Health Record, you need to create a myGov account or log in to an existing myGov account.
- Go to the myGov sign in page.
- If you don't have myGov account, click 'Create an account' and follow the steps to register. If you already have a myGov account, use your existing username and password to sign in.
Step 2: Verify your identity
After you have followed the steps to link your My Health Record to your myGov account, you need to verify your identity. You can use details from Medicare or a code that you’ve been given.
To verify your identity using your Medicare details, you will need information such as:
- your Medicare card
- the BSB and bank account number that your Medicare benefits are paid into (if you've arranged this with Medicare)
- your address as recorded by Medicare
- information about your last doctor's visit.
You need to answer the questions correctly to pass the identity check. If you don’t know the answer to a question, you can skip that question and try the next one.
If you have are not able prove your identity online, or would prefer to speak to a person, call the Help line on 1800 723 471.
A Help line representative will give you a code, known as an identity verification code, so you can link your myGov account to your My Health Record.
Step 3: Set up your My Health Record
After you verify your identity, you will see a ‘Welcome to My Health Record’ screen.
The first time you log into your My Health Record, there may not be much information in it.
To start setting up your record
Open your record by selecting the box with your name on the welcome screen. Start with these steps to set your preferences:
- Decide if you want to add Medicare information such as visits to your doctor, prescriptions information, immunisations and your organ donor decisions.
- Add your emergency contact/s.
- Add any allergies or adverse reactions and medicines to your personal health summary.
- Set an access code if you want to control who can see your health information.
- Choose to receive notifications when someone accesses your record.
Next time you see your GP, nurse or specialist, remember to ask them to upload a summary of your visit to your My Health Record.
If you have difficulty reading or understanding English, we have services available to make it easier for you to access and understand your My Health Record.
Alternatively, you can contact the Help line on 1800 723 471 for assistance.