Liz’s My Health Record story
As a professional triathlete and new mum, Liz Blatchford needs more hours in the day. She’s using My Health Record to ensure she’s fighting fit while managing the health of her daughter, Mahli.
Register now for a My Health Record
If you don’t want to wait, you can register now for a My Health Record.
What is My Health Record?
My Health Record is an online summary of your key health information. When you have a My Health Record, your health information can be viewed securely online, from anywhere, at any time – even if you move or travel interstate. You can access your health information from any computer or device that’s connected to the internet.
My Health Record will deliver better health outcomes for adults over time including:
- Records travel with you – My Health Record is a digital record, which means that if you change doctors or move cities, you can take your health information with you.
- Less administration – You can access details such as test results, allergies and vaccinations so you don't have to remember or repeat your entire medical history.
- Emergency information – In a medical emergency, doctors can temporarily view your information, including allergies and current medications, to provide you with the best possible treatment.
- Connected care – Your health information is available in one place so it can be accessed by doctors, specialists or hospital staff. This means your healthcare providers have a more complete picture of your health to inform clinical decisions.
- Future focused – While you might not need to access your My Health Record very often now, it’ll become more useful over time as a digital record of your medical history. This will be valuable at important times like travelling overseas, health checks and starting a family.
My Health Record is a secure system that puts you in control. You decide what information is stored on your record and who is able to access it.
Next time you see your doctor, talk to them about uploading a summary of your visit to your My Health Record.
Mark considers himself a pretty healthy guy: he goes to the gym a couple of times a week before heading into the office, where he works as a business analyst. He tries to cook healthy meals at home most nights. But even though he doesn’t have any major health concerns, he still has his My Health Record up and running. He has the occasional blood test and knows that if he needs to check on his medical history, he can see it online.
Having a My Health Record has already come in handy. Mark regularly travels for work and, on his last trip, accidentally left a course of antibiotics at home, along with the his prescription. Rather than having a full consultation, Mark was able to check his My Health Record on his phone and quickly bring his non-regular GP up to date on his prescription.
“My Health Record is all about you. It’s about you making the choice that you want to have access to your information. It’s you determining how your health record is stored. This is truly about giving you back the power to control your health.”
Khadija Gbla, business owner, speaker, activist