My Health Record can help you manage health information for your whole family. Your child’s important medical details are in one place and available any time – including in an emergency.
How you can use My Health Record
If you are a parent, you can use My Health Record to:
- Keep track of your child’s health information online – Log in to My Health Record securely through myGov to see and manage your family’s health information. See details of test results, immunisations and doctor visits.
- Share important health details in an emergency – Add emergency contacts, allergies and current medicines for your children. Give doctors the details they need when giving treatment at a critical time.
- Manage your child’s record – As an authorised representative, you manage your child’s My Health Record until they turn 14. More than one parent (known as authorised representatives) can manage a record.
- Get a record for a newborn– Newborns will get a My Health Record when you register them for Medicare. If you don’t want your child to have one, you can opt them out.
- Use privacy settings to control access to your family’s record– Decide which healthcare providers can see your family’s health information. You can set notifications, so you get an SMS or email each time a new healthcare provider accesses a record.
- Track your child’s development– Add information about your child’s early health, growth and development. As they grow, the information in their My Health Record can provide a view of their medical history over time.
Children aged 14 years and older
When your child turns 14, you will automatically be removed as an authorised representative from their record. If they choose to, your child can give you access as a nominated representative.
Add information to My Health Record
A new My Health Record might not have much information in it when you first log in. Your doctor, pharmacist or other healthcare provider can start to add information to create a picture of your health over time.
Ask your healthcare provider to add new information to your My Health Record at your next visit.
Casey and Jamie are busy parents to three-year-old Emily. They also have a new arrival on the way. Balancing work and home life is hard enough – so they signed up for My Health Record to help manage their family’s health. They now have easy access to medical records, including Emily’s vaccinations, even when they can’t get in to see their regular doctor.
Sharon and Isaac’s My Health Record story
As a busy mum of four, Sharon spends a lot of time looking after her children's health records. That includes her youngest son, Isaac, who has been in and out of hospital with skateboarding and other sporting injuries.
“I now have that peace of mind that if I need access to any of my health records, or my daughter’s or my husband’s, we can just log on to My Health Record and everything’s right there. It’s not relying on me recalling everything that’s happened. It’s brilliant.”
Liz Blatchford, professional triathlete and mother of 13 month-old Mahli