My Health Record is a secure way to share health information between you and healthcare providers like your GP. Information is available wherever you go so you don’t need to remember test dates, medicine names or dosages, or carry medical documents with you.
How you can use My Health Record
If you are an older Australian, you can use My Health Record to:
- Keep track of your health information online – Log in to My Health Record securely through myGov to see and manage your health information. If you don’t want to set up online access, your healthcare providers can still add and see health details.
- Share important health details in an emergency – Add your emergency contacts, so that doctors know who to call in an emergency. You can also add allergies and current medicines, so doctors can give you the right treatment at a critical time.
- Use privacy settings to choose who can access your record - Decide which healthcare providers have access to your health details. You can set notifications, so you get an SMS or email each time a new healthcare provider accesses a record.
- Get help to manage your record from someone you trust – If you’d like one of your children, spouse or carer to help you with My Health Record, you can give them access as a nominated representative.
- Add an advanced care plan and custodian details – Let your doctor or family know how you want to be treated if you can no longer speak on your own behalf. You can write down your wishes and make them available through your My Health Record in an advance care plan.
Add information to My Health Record
Your new My Health Record might not have much information in it at first. Your doctor, pharmacist or other healthcare provider can start to add information to create a picture of your health over time.
Ask your healthcare provider to add new information to your My Health Record at your next visit.
Robert and Marge are retired – it’s always been their dream to spend retirement travelling around Australia in their caravan. However, Robert has a complicated health history, including a previous heart condition, which needs to be monitored even when they’re on the road. My Health Record makes it easy for Robert to receive care no matter where he is, with doctors able to see his health history. Robert and Marge have both also uploaded their advance care plans, so they can be confident their wishes are known and accessible.
Bill's My Health Record story
Bill’s battle with prostate cancer involved a range of health professionals. My Health Record has helped Bill to track all his medications and results throughout his treatment.
“Before My Health Record, when we travelled, we used to go to our GP and request a printout of the medications we took. I now don’t have to worry about losing a script or not knowing what medication I’m taking. It’s all stored safely in My Health Record.”
Ray, retired and travelling across Australia