This section contains information for general practice staff looking to register for My Health Record and learn more about the system.
Register and set up access to the My Health Record system
Prior to registering your organisation you will first need to establish your team members’ roles and responsibilities as they relate to interacting with the Healthcare Identifiers Service and the My Health Record system, and train yourself and/or your team in how to use the My Health Record system.
You can familiarise yourself with the registration process for organisations and individuals here.
While your registration is being processed, this is an opportune time to:
- establish policies and procedures to underpin your team’s use of My Health Record, and
- train yourself and/or your team in how to use My Health Record
If your practice intends to participate in the Practice Incentives Program eHealth Incentive (ePIP), there are further registration and connections requirements you will need to complete.
Contact your local PHN for assistance with the above if required.
View and upload clinical information
Learn how to:
- View a My Health Record for a patient under your care, including their:
- Improve data quality and safety
- Upload clinical information, such as:
- Access training simulators and learning resources
Understand privacy, security and consent
Learn more about/how to:
- Report a clinical incident
- Manage a data breach
- Data breach notification - steps to follow
- Security practices and policies checklist
- Recognise your privacy and security obligations
- Understand consent and control
- My Health Record participation obligations
- My Health Record system security
Access training and resources
My Health Record online training
This online training introduces My Health Record and outlines its benefits, features and functionalities. It covers topics such as:
- the types of information in the My Health Record system;
- how to view a patient's My Health Record and upload information to it;
- the legislation which underpins healthcare providers' use of the My Health Record system;
- how the My Health Record system can improve clinical outcomes; and
- healthcare providers' participation obligations.
Clinical software simulators
There is a range of clinical software simulators or ‘sandboxes’ with which you can simulate viewing, creating and uploading clinical information to a fictional patient’s My Health Record, as well as carrying out Assisted Registration. There are simulators for Bp Premier, MedicalDirector, Zedmed, Genie, and Communicare.
Clinical software summary sheets
There are summary sheets for a range of clinical software products with step-by-step instructions and screenshots for viewing, creating and uploading clinical information, as well as carrying out Assisted Registration. The software products covered include Bp Premier, MedicalDirector, Zedmed, Genie, Medtech32 and Communicare.
Clinical software demonstrations
There is a range of slideshows showing how to perform a variety of functions in a range of clinical software products, including Bp Premier, MedicalDirector, Zedmed, Genie, and Communicare.
Education and training request form
The Agency can help with organising face-to-face education and training for your practice.
Support and inform patients
A range of brochures are available to support you in introducing My Health Record to your patients.
Consumer portal guides
A range of step-by-step guides are available to support patients in interacting with their My Health Record, including uploading a personal health summary, setting privacy controls and a range of other functions.
Most software products used in general practice have the functionality to assist patients to register for a My Health Record.
- The Assisted Registration Guide provides important information for practices who wish to register their patients.
- The Assisted Registration Checklist provides a summary of the key steps to prepare for registering patients.
- There are also range of summary sheets with step-by-step instructions for assisting patients to register through clinical software.
Get help and support
See the Contact us page for guidance on who to call for help and support.